Tuesday 11 June 2019

Yesterday I received an email from TripAdvisor informing me that I had been awarded a Certificate of Excellence. I had no idea that there was such a thing but now I've got one I'm a big fan. It's the chance to thanks to everyone who's taken the time and trouble to say some kind words about my Salsa Rapido 1-Day Intensive course.  
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d12515614-Reviews-Salsa_Rapido_1_Day_Intensive_Salsa_Course-London_England.html
Click to see tripadviser reviews

When I embedded TripAdvisor into my site I was hoping for praise but open to the possibility of harsh and unfair criticism, and in fairness I've received a one star review from someone who wasn't on the course and a two star review from someone who enjoyed the class but didn't enjoy the fajitas at lunch! May I just add that fajitas are not compulsory and anyone can eat wherever they wish. Lunch isn't part of the deal so bring a packet of crisps in if you wish but don't blame my course if they didn't have your favourite flavour! (I'm so over it now) .... Anyway, I overcame my fears and gave it a go, realising that feedback is good and TripAdivsor offers a third party review that's useful for the pubic when booking. 

Many months later and I've received mainly five star reviews. 
This tells me that: 
  • My presentation is engaging and entertaining. 
  • People are way nicer than I deserve. 
  • Salsa Rapido is a well formed and mature method that can do well when compared to traditional classes. 
  • I'm really good at asking for five star reviews.
On the last point my hobby of stand up comedy led to five shows at the Edinburgh Fringe where at the end of a show we would have a 'bucket speech' to encourage the audience to give a tip (The comedians only source of income) Infamously cliched lines like: "Take some change, fold it and put it in the bucket" are common. One time I got a waif-like act to kneel down holding the bucket while looking as mournful as a Dickensian child. Another time a showed the audience picture of my cats on my phone and asked "which one should I 'economise' first?" Well it works for charities! The result were seldom any different from no bucket speech. It was the show's content that counted. 
You'd never catch me plugging my Intensive course at a comedy gig!


I'm fairly cynical about reviews but third party reviews they are useful  in a world awash with
hyperbole. Another thing that has helped me throughout my career is open honest feedback. I've learnt the tough lesson that criticism stings like a needle but delivers a powerful medicine. I invite anyone who's attended my Salsa Rapido courses or party events to feedback in person or by email. They always get my full attention and steer my development.
Thanks in advance :-)

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment