Wednesday 19 December 2018

Salsa Rapido Christmas post 2018

Salsa Rapido® Christmas Blog 2018

So here’s a round up of what’s gone well and not so well this past year 2018.
What’s got me excited and where I think I’m going in 2019.


First a big thank you to everyone who’s supported me in so many ways this year. There’s a ton of you and it’s fair to say I couldn’t have done it without you.

Forgive me if this blog is all me, me, me,
 Fun video from last Winter
Fun video from last Winter
but that’s the point of this post. Also this is not the time for false modesty. Maybe because I’m self employed or naturally a bit ‘out there’, I’m often poor at blowing my own trumpet and the big things get demeaned and small things appear insurmountable. Was it Sir James Dyson who said “Life Sucks, and all you have to do is suck harder" (I so wish it had been)


Where to start?
The big themes of 2018 for me have been the ongoing success of Salsa Rapido both in terms of the workshops and the production of ‘Concept clips’ for YouTube. The later are just about ready to be released but you can subscribe here.Please subscribe here

The video clips will support several playlists of ‘How To’ and ‘Exercise’ clips. There aim is to support and promote my workshops and begin to establish Salsa Rapido as the alternative to traditional methods of instructing salsa.

Originally the idea was to film Mambalsa clips which will happen soon but the salsa playlists offer short, as well as long term gains. In short it felt right to film salsa first and I’m pleased with the results thus far. It been really useful to learn presenting to autocue as well as scripting the concepts.



Salsa Rapido workshops
It’s been a fantastic year for the Salsa Rapido workshops at Salsa Soho. I’ve had the privilege of meeting so many interesting people. Just last Saturday I received compliments from an army instructor, two doctors (I needed a second opinion) and a roofer. Recently we beat my fun little challenge of how many nationalities are represented on a single course. Fifteen! In a group of thirty! 
I'm so glad I embedded TripAdviser into my site in July 2017 since then I've had 37 five star reviews and one four star. They push me forward in terms of confidence and innovation.

I feel the course and the Salsa Rapido method has come of age. From the view of presentation my recent stand up comedy experience has given me crowd skills well above participant's expectations. My psychotherapy training has given me one to one caring skills and a humanistic psychodynamic framework. (if you don’t know what that means it’s being nice and believing other people are too)

Above all I’m delighted with the fusion of positive psychology, humour and dance. It’s a heady mix but it works. I’ve never been more passionate about teaching and the benefits of social dance.


It seems forever ago but last January I returned to Edinburgh and Glasgow for two Salsa Rapido w/s. They proved that even with a vibrant local scene Salsa Rapido could break in and at least break even. It was bloody cold up there! I’ve since made contacts in Bristol, Bath, Swansea and Cardiff so I’m ready for a Rapido/Mambalsa tour.

 
Mambalsa is still very much in my mind. Unfinished business that keeps getting more doable. With the experience of Salsa Rapido clips and w/s I’m going to launch Mambalsa properly in 2019. 
Something's have not gone so well this year (Clip of my one gig!) I put my comedy on the shelf for a number of reasons. I hadn’t worked on it enough in 2017 and had little new to offer. I needed the money that the Edinburgh Fringe would cost for my psychotherapy course and I needed to step back and get perspective. Comedy is important to me but it’s not my vocation. Mambalsa, Salsa Rapido and psychotherapy are more important, more challenging and potentially more rewarding. Saying that I went to a gig the other night and laughed at the funnies and cringed at the awkward moments. It felt like home and I will return. 

Psychotherapy has been my big new thing this year. I’m two thirds way through my Certificate year, the first or three. I’ve gained half a stone! I thought by now I would be shrinking! Boom!

Apart from a ton of self discovery, I realised that therapy is change, and to make change we need the right environment or core conditions to use the lingo. Learning to dance is also change i.e. non-dancer to dancer, and surprise surprise the core conditions are exactly the same: 

  • Empathy, 
  • Congruence (straight-ness) 
  • Unconditional positive regard (We all improve naturally)
Newbie counsellor and experienced salsa teacher are the same person operating the same skill set. Not only does counselling add to the dance framework but it gives it a hard science foundation. We synchronize in dance because we’re hardwired to emphasise. Don’t blame me when your mirrored neurons have lost their sparkle. Maybe ballroom dancers have got it right, It all about sequins and smiles. “All that glisters is not gold” -Billy Waggledagger - Retail Entrepreneur of Venice.
Camden
The big Bumpy mc’Bumpface is Camden. We’ve got a lot from the ‘Blend Format’, certainly useable for Mambalsa. But numbers have dwindled. Camden Market itself has changed. The rats may have gone only to be replaced with tumbleweed.
Last November I made a decision to seek the 100% backing of the management at Gabeto. Without it ‘weeee’re doomed!’ We need a monthly event to boost our numbers. A flag to rally the troops. Time to call in the cavalry in the form of ‘The Havana Cafe Descarga.’ And what a lovely evening it was. With twenty twenty hindsight putting a band on just after Halloween and Fireworks night was daft as everyone was partied out. Give me another 25years and I'll get this promotion thing right!

And then the grumbles started...
So a meeting was had and we've been Saved! Well, promised every Tuesday and a band once a month Jan. Feb. and March!!!!!

I hope you’ll join us at Camden soon for more of this.... Salsa Camden at Youtube




Finally a big thank you to my wife Fliss. Recently we've been out dancing. No event, no pressure just turn up when we feel like it and push off as and when.

We’ve been made very welcome and really enjoyed ourselves. If that means the new bathroom hasn’t been fitted for Christmas, so what! 


 



So finally what’s my big plan for 2019.....

  • Salsa Rapido playlists and tour.
  • A heap of fun at Camden.
  • Mambalsa online course plus tour.
  • A new online comedy vlog
  • A heap of stuff I’m not sharing yet!!!!! Ner ner ner!!!
  • Fit that bloody bathroom!
Happy Christmas everyone and an amazing new year.
Alastair

No comments:

Post a Comment